Ozone Helps to Provide Better Quality Products
Organic growers and producers are faced with many challenges to provide high quality, safe products to consumers without the use of traditional (potentially harmful, but perhaps more convenient) chemical sanitation practices. Poor or inadequate sanitation of the facility, equipment, and surfaces, as well as the food products themselves can lead to reduced quality, increased spoilage and the possibility of foodborne illness.
- Ozone kills all known human food pathogens
Preserves freshness, e.g. taste, texture,
color and smell
- Reduces sanitation time
- Reduces spoilage
- Extends shelf life
- Gentle and safe for workers
- FDA/USDA and USDA-Organic approved
- OMRI listed
As an approved organic food additive, ozone effectively kills all known food and human pathogens, including E. coli, Listeria, Salmonella, Staphylococcus, Campylobacter, Pseudomonas, Aspergillus, Brettanomyces, Trichophyton, Bacillus, Adenovirus, and Norovirus. Through applications specialized for every type and stage of organic food processing, DEL can help improve food safety and product quality while increasing productivity in existing operations or new facilities.
DEL Ozone provides Food Safety Solutions designed to integrate ozone sanitation seamlessly into organic food production and processing operations. Ozone can be simultaneously applied at any time during processing on the product and equipment.
Ozone disinfection can be applied at multiple points in organic processing:
• Direct food contact sanitation:
Ozone will not affect the organoleptic qualities (taste, texture, color and smell) of food. Ozone is a powerful sanitizer that can help extend shelf life while improving overall food product safety.
• Surface sanitation on food-contact and non-food-contact surfaces: Ozone can be used as a surface sanitizer before, during or after production runs. When used during production, ozone will reduce the amount of clean-up time shutdowns between runs, as well as reduce the amount of downtime for cleaning and sanitizing.
• Process equipment, e.g. knives, cutters, bins, totes, conveyor belts: When sprayed on conveyors and automated cutting equipment during processing, ozone can eliminate biofilm and significantly reduce fat, oil & grease on all surfaces. This can reduce downtime for cleaning as well as provide further protection from cross-contamination in the processing line.
A DEL Ozone system is an excellent addition to standard processing protocol, and in some cases it can replace chemical or thermal processes. It can be used as an additional point of intervention in the HACCP plan or it can be used in lieu of one or more traditional chemical or thermal processes. Ozone is applied in either an aqueous solution (ozone dissolved in water) or a gaseous form in cold storage. It is an effective antimicrobial as well as being effective at removing field-applied chemicals and pesticides. Ozone treatment allows longer process runs between cleanings.