Federal Regulators View Ozone as Safe and Effective
Federal regulatory agencies have recognized the value of ozone as an antimicrobial oxidizer since 1976. They have progressively increased the scope of permitted ozone applications over the years as more testing and validation results proved the safety and efficacy of ozone to supplement or replace traditional treatment methods.
Some milestones in regulatory endorsements include:
- 1975 FDA recognizes ozone as GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) for bottled water sanitation
- 1976 EPA Approves Ozone as an Antimicrobial oxidizer
- 1982 IBWA (International Bottled Water Association) Specifications Approve Ozone as an Antimicrobial oxidizer for Product and Disinfectant for Filler Lines (CIP)
- 1999 EPA Lists Ozone as Safe for Surface and Ground Water
- 2001 FDA/USDA Approve Ozone as an Antimicrobial Food Additive
- 2001 FDA/USDA Approve Ozone as a Food Contact Surface Disinfectant
2002 USDA National Organic Program Allows Ozone as an Antimicrobial Food Additive and Food-Contact Surface Disinfectant
Ozone Can Play a Key Role in HACCP Plans
Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) plans can benefit by using DEL Ozone Food Safety Solutions systems disinfection technology. DEL systems are designed with well-engineered ozone delivery technologies whose disinfection potential has been tested, measured and verified. Control modules built into DEL systems give food processors both information and flexibility to ensure that the ozone disinfection systems are operating effectively.
FDA and USDA both support HACCP plans in even the smallest processing plants. According to the FDA,
“HACCP is a management system in which food safety is addressed through the analysis and control of biological, chemical, and physical hazards from raw material production, procurement and handling, to manufacturing, distribution and consumption of the finished product”.
DEL Ozone Food Safety Solutions systems are designed to facilitate compliance with these regulations with respect to the disinfection stage of processing.
DEL Ozone systems are approved and compliant with applicable Federal regulations and standards for food safety processing. DEL has a substantial amount of ozone efficacy and safety validation data in our extensive library. Please contact us for specific information.